Monday, May 16, 2011

Is Copyright Really a Copywrong?


RiP: A Remix Manifesto was made because the filmmaker wanted to get the word out that the record labels are incredibly greedy and unfair. The intention was to get the word out to everyone who watches the film about the real life of the record label owners, and whoever has rights to all the songs we love to listen to and download. I definitely agreed with the filmmakers point of view since I believe songs are overpriced, and the way some people were treated for illegally downloading some songs was very unfair, such as Jammie Thomas who was sued $222, 220 for downloading only 24 songs. At most, she should have been charged however much it costs per song, instead of almost $10, 000 per song.

Although there was a bias in this documentary, I think it would be extremely difficult to not have one when filming something such as this. Brett Gaylor did go a little far when portraying the people at the record labels as completely evil, considering they are just doing their job. If the documentary could have shown that the people at record labels are not completely terrible and they are just trying to make sure the artists profit as well.

After seeing this film, I'm on the fence about copyright. What Girl Talk is doing is pretty amazing, and you need some serious skill to be able to blend all those songs together to make one new, amazing song. He is not claiming them as his own, and thanks all the artists on his album, all he is doing is making something new for people to listen to. If someone was taking my work and making it into something else as cool as what Girl Talk is making, I think I would be okay with it as long as I got recognition for being apart of what he's doing.

As for my overall thoughts on the film itself, I loved it. As a teenager, that kind of stuff really captures my attention and I was very interested in everything the film was saying. It's always fascinating to see a new aspect of the media, even if it was more behind-the-scenes in this film. Brett Gaylor's arguement was constructed quite well, despite the bias of the filmmaker, but that can be overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment